Introducing the Strep A Rapid Test Cassette
A Rapid Test Cassette is a chromatographic immunoassay for the qualitative detection of Strep A antigens from throat
swab specimens to aid in the diagnosis of Group A Streptococcal infection.
What is the Test?
- The Strep A Rapid Test Cassette is a rapid test to qualitatively detect the presence of Strep A antigens
in throat swab specimens, providing results within 5 minutes.
- The test utilizes antibodies specific for whole cell Lancefield Group A Streptococcus to selectively detect
Strep A carbohydrate antigens in a throat swab specimen.
*Tests are professional use only under clinical settings.
What is the Disease?
- Streptococcus pyogenes is an aerobic non-motile gram-positive coccus, which contains the Lancefield group
A antigens that can cause serious infections such as
pharyngitis, respiratory infection, impetigo, endocarditis,
meningitis, puerperal sepsis, and arthritis.
- The bacterium is transmitted via respiratory droplets, hand contact and nasal discharge – patients suffering from streptococcal pharyngitis are infective during the acute phase of illness (7-10 days) and up to 1 week afterwards.
- Streptococcus pyogenes causes various infections, with the most common being streptococcal sore throat, marked by fever and swollen tonsils.
- If left untreated, strep throat can persist for 7-10 days and may lead to serious complications like rheumatic fever and peritonsillar abscess.
- Less common infections caused by S. pyogenes include septicaemia, otitis media, mastitis, sepsis, cellulitis, erysipelas, myositis, osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, meningitis, endocarditis, pericarditis, and neonatal infections.
Mortality/Morbidity – Clinical Implications
- S. pyogenes infections vary by location, with streptococcal pharyngitis most common in temperate climates during
late winter and early spring.
- Human-to-human transmission, often in crowded settings like schools, leads to over 600 million yearly cases
of S. pyogenes pharyngitis globally.
- Severe S. pyogenes infections cause at least 517,000 annual deaths worldwide, with rheumatic fever alone
accounting for 233,000 of these deaths.
- Rapid detection for the presence of Strep Antigens, providing results from 5 minutes.
- In-built procedural control.
- Simple and easy to use test, to be used with throat swab samples.
Best In Class Performance
- Sensitivity: 95.1%
- Specificity: 97.8%
- Accuracy: 97.1%
About Katalyst Laboratories
Katalyst Laboratories is a leading distributor of diagnostics testing equipment, PCR assays and LFT tests.
Fully supported by training, support and regular bio surveillance updates.
Katalyst Laboratories stands at the forefront as a premier provider of intelligent healthcare solutions, spanning across hospital settings, residential environments, communities, surgical facilities, laboratories, and retail establishments
We’d love to hear from you.
Please send a brief summary of your project and requirements and we’ll be in touch to discuss further.